First sleepless night (pt 2)

My 2nd line

I had to wait around for a good 3 hours until a bed finally opened up. I got bed 19, and the first thing they did was take blood and put a line in my arm to start rehydrating me because of the fever. I was sweating so much, it was terrible. My mum and G stayed with me as long as they could, but mum went as it was less suspicious that just one person was around my bed after visiting times were over.
They came back and told me I had an infection, but they didn’t know what bug was causing it. They went ahead and started pumping antibiotics through an additional line they added to my arm. The cool doctor said he wanted me to have a chest x-ray, which I figured was pointless as the one of the bank holiday showed nothing at all, and he took some more blood from me.
G left at 10.20pm. At 11.10pm they took me for my x-ray which I struggled with as breathing was still hard, and they took me back to my bed. The entire time I was shivering from feeling so cold but I was still hot & sweaty. I was given a hospital nightie as my clothes were soaked through. Back at bed 19, the porter who wheeled me to x-ray told me to rest up as that was it for the rest of the night. I settled down and just drifted off to sleep.
At midnight, I was woken up and told I was being moved to ward 8b – the respiratory ward. Once I was wheeled by a porter to my new bed (21, bay C), I settled down halfway under the covers. I had a great view and was right next to the window. 2am I was wide awake, my fever was back and a nurse came and checked on me every 2 hours, but I just couldn’t sleep.

The next morning I was told I was having a CT Scan that day, and I started chatting to the lovely ladies in my bay. Janet, was opposite me, next to her was Muriel and Sandra was sat on my side but at the far end with an empty bed between me and her, and a spare bed next to Muriel. It wasn’t long before the bed next to Muriel was taken by a terminally ill patient – a lady named Cheryl, who was in hospital every 5 weeks for a fortnight at a time. She is such an inspiration and she has everything you could possibly need in hospital, and for those of us like Janet and myself who had no idea we were going into hospital, she was more than willing to share. The four of us built up a great rapport, and Sandra was shipped off to a nearby hospital closer to her home. We spent the entire day in our beds, chatting and having such a laugh. If it wasn’t for those 3, I’d have been sooooo bored.

The consultant came around and told me I had Pneumonia and a form of Asthma. Now my doctors constantly give me a peak flow for asthma, but they’ve always said I was fine. That’s what’s odd to me. Janet went off for her CT Scan first, then mine was at 3.45pm. I had some more stuff put through my line (by this time I was still having antibiotics and fluids through it as well) and went through the scan. It was super scary lol. Then it was back to bed, with more observations and chats. And I was a little poorly… Excorsist jokes went around the rest of the day, but I just couldn’t keep the tablets down, no sooner had I swallowed them, they came right back up. I had to be changed and have a sponge bath next to my bed. That night it was another bad night. I was up at 2am in agony in my left arm. The nurse took out the line in my arm. 3am ish I had to call the nurse a second time, this time for painkillers. 4.30am and I was still in pain, the nurse came back and told me to move it. Pain went away finally, and I got to sleep at 5.15am ish. 5.45am – the nurse came to put a new line in my hand this time – come 6am everyone is up and about and we started having obs and breakfast etc. so I never got anymore sleep.

To be continued

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.